Mom Hacks: Picky Eaters & Packing Lunch
Having a picky eater at home can be tough, and having one on the go can be even tougher. If your picky eater is just starting school or daycare and you’re on the struggle bus as far as what to pack for lunch, you are not alone. It seems that just when you find something they like, they decide a few days later that they don’t like it anymore. What’s a mom to do? Luckily, we have some tips for you. Keep reading to learn more about our tips for picky eaters and packing lunch, as well as two products you need to make it a bit easier for them.
Tips for Eating On The Go
Eating on the go with kids and toddlers can be difficult, especially when they are picky eaters. Here are some of our top tips for eating on the go:
- Overpack. By now, you know that you can never pack too many snacks for your little one. The same thing applies to sending them off to school or daycare—just overpack and have them bring home what they do not eat. Not only will this give them more choices during mealtime and more chances to feel full, but you will also start to see patterns as far as what they like (what doesn't come home) and what they do not like (what always seems to come back home).
- Have them choose something special. It can be exciting for little ones to know that they have something special to look forward to during lunchtime, whether that is their favorite bag of chips or one of your famous homemade brownies. Have them choose one special thing to put in their lunch as a reward for eating (most of) the rest!
- Make a “Will Eat” list. You think you might have this all engraved in your head, but you might be surprised at how much you might forget. Start a “Will Eat” list and add to it often. Check back on it whenever you’re packing a lunch and try to rotate foods in and out as much as possible, as well as combine them whenever possible.
- It doesn’t have to be lunch! Does your child LOVE muffins, eggs, cereal, or other types of breakfast food? Pack it for lunch! It’s a great idea to get some things in that you know they will for sure eat, even if it isn’t the right “meal”. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to make sure they’re fueling their bodies.
- Bring them shopping with you. Not sure what your little one is into these days? Bring them with you to the grocery store and have them help you pick out food! Show them different boxes, labels, and foods to get a Yes or a No from them. You can also pull up photos of food on your phone to show them and see what kind of reaction you get.
How to Pack For a Picky Eater
If your little one is like most picky kiddos, they’re probably big fans of anything beige: French fries, chicken nuggets, pasta, and more! While it’s not the best feeling in the world to send off your kid with dinosaur nuggets and spaghetti yet again, some days, it just is what it is, and remember: You’re still doing great!
Here are a few quick and easy picky-eater-approved meals you can pack and try out this week:
- DIY Lunchable. Slice up some turkey, cheese, and bread (or crackers) into fun shapes, pack some condiment packets, and let them make their own sandwiches!
- Simple But Filling Snack Box. If your little one isn’t too into meats, pack a smorgasbord of snacks that cover all the food groups. String cheese, crackers, watermelon, hummus, and a yogurt packet will fill them up and make them happy!
- Bagel sandwich. Putting their favorite sandwich on a bagel will make it even more fun and filling!
Mealtime Essentials to Help Picky Eaters
Sometimes, the key to unlocking something within a picky eater can be the simplest of things. Whether it’s a new spice, a new texture, or a new tool, things can suddenly become completely different!
Flexnlock Kids have practical use and fun at the same time, offering a new experience of lunchbox for family members. Made with Platinum Silicone, this material does not require plasticizers for its pliability. It's pure and heat resistant, so you can stop worrying about chemicals leaching into food when warming food. In addition, The Flexnlock FlexBox Set is perfectly leak-proof without a rubber seal! The FlexPlate inside is made with platinum material, and FlexBox is made with ABS to be long-lasting. Together, they are specially designed to work to leak-proof seal without the need for a rubber gasket, and everything is detachable and super easy to clean!
Watch your kids, even the pickiest eaters, finish their healthy meals by making their lunchtime fun, thanks to the interactive FlexCharms that will keep them entertained. You can even reward your healthy eaters with their favorite charms as a great non-food reward!
FlexCharm comes in a variety of shapes & colors, allowing kids to explore and reward healthy mealtime in a fun way! Made with flexible & durable silicone, the charms are easy to wash & dry for your child's next interactive playtime.
The best part? The FlexPlate is Microwavable & Oven Safe! The tray is made with heat-resistant & BPA-Free platinum grade silicone. Simply remove the tray and reheat. Safe for oven use and safe to microwave, making meal prep easier than ever.
Your little one can have utensils just as unique as they are! Enjoy our pre-selected Flexwarez starter set with two of our customer's favorite charms. The interchangeable FlexCharmz™ works seamlessly on both FlexWarez™ & FlexBox™ lunchboxes. Make each day special with your child's favorite FlexCharm™ theme of the day or mix and match.
Flexcharmz comes in a variety of shapes & colors, allowing kids to explore and reward healthy mealtime in a fun way! Made with flexible & durable silicone, they are easy to wash & dry for your child's next interactive playtime. Collect them all, available in unicorn-, dinosaur-, and toy-themed custom designs, and nurture kids' creativity and imagination. Kids will love choosing their favorite charms and personalizing their favorite school lunch solutions!
For more mom hacks and amazing family products, check us out at innobaby.com!