Photo: © via canva.com
Does Your Toddler Have a Fear of Baths?
Ah, bathtime. Some children take to the water like a fish, splashing around and having the time of their lives, refusing to get out even if they are as pruned as a raisin. Others, on the other hand, absolutely hate bathtime, and is a very unpleasant experience for both them AND you. If your kiddo is one of the latter, there are things you can do to get them more comfortable with bathtime rather than just rushing through with the wash while they scream at the top of their lungs. Sound familiar? Keep reading to learn more about what to do if your toddler has a fear of bathtime and the amazing products you need for their next bath!
- Sounds. For little ears, baths can be quite loud! The sound of the water rushing out of the faucet, sudden splashing noises, the curtain rod or shower door opening and closing, the echo of the bathroom, and the drain can all be scary and startling for little ones, and the anticipation of them happening can make bathtime full of anxiety.
- The sensation of the water. Whether the water is too hot, too cold, or they just don’t like the feeling of being wet, some toddlers can be quite picky about water and how it feels on their skin.
- Fear of the soap. Soap can be scary for some toddlers! It tastes yucky, feels slippery, burns the eyes, and can sometimes smell strong. It is also quite scary for many toddlers to be rinsed. This can quickly lead a child to become afraid of baths simply because they do not like anything associated with soap.
- Feeling insecure. Baths are slippery, and it is tough to find your balance in them, even as adults. As kids, it can be scary to slip and slide all over the tub and not feel secure.
Tips for Making Bathtime More Enjoyable
Is your child doomed to hate bathtime forever? No! Just like everything else during these early years, it will just be a phase that requires some adjusting. However, instead of waiting for them to grow out of their fear of the bathtub, there are some easy things you can do to make it more comfortable and enjoyable for them, such as having a bath together, waiting to pull the plug, and letting them choose safe bath toys to play with.
As a parent, you are your child’s safety net. They feel totally safe with you right by their side, and sometimes that includes right there inside the bathtub! Join your little one for bathtime to show them it’s not scary and that it can actually be pretty fun, too.
While in the bathtub with your kiddo, make the experience as happy and fun as possible. If they still fit in their baby tub, you can put them in there to make them feel a little more secure and comfortable as they grow and start wanting to be in the big bath—just like Mama!
Wait to Pull the Plug
As we previously mentioned, the sounds of bathtime can be quite scary for many toddlers and can make them become afraid to take one. As such, it is best to adjust your timing on certain noisy activities so that they don’t have to endure a sensory overload.
- Run the bathwater and fill your tub while your child is in another room
- Don’t use loud toys in the bath that can echo or startle them
- If you choose to listen to music while giving your child a bath, keep the volume at a calm level to reduce echoing
- Wait to drain the bath until your child is out, dried off, dressed, and in another room
One of the joys of bathtime is splashing around and having a great time! An easy way to get your child to enjoy bathtime a little more and see that it is a safe space is to incorporate safe bath toys that are easy to clean, do not harbor mold, and offer calming, sensory benefits as well. Have them choose their own toys to play with in the bath so that they can feel as comfortable as possible throughout the experience.
Innobaby has an entire line of great silicone bath toys for you and your kids! Our Award Winning Bathin’ Smart Silicone Bath Scrub gently washes and massages baby’s scalp, creating a calming and therapeutic bath time experience. Made from 100% silicone, it is naturally resistant to mold and is even dishwasher safe (no more stinky washcloths)! The Unique double-sided scrub features shorter strands on one side, great for massaging cradle cap, and longer strands for scrubbing on the reverse.
The grow-with-me bath scrub also doubles as a quiet and mess-free fidget toy for kids ages six years and up. The thousands of bristles create a sensory experience that will help relax your child while in the bathtub, classroom, or anywhere they may struggle to stay still and focus.
All of our silicone bath products are made of 100% silicone, which is naturally mold and mildew resistant and easy to clean. Plus, it can be boiled for a deep cleaning and tossed in the dishwasher!
For more great parenting tips and safe family products, visit our website at Innobaby.com!